Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Earth, Moon, and Sun

Are you looking for something 
educational, 
exciting,
and 
easy to use
 to spice up your teaching lessons, increase rigor, and improve student engagement?  

I am so excited to have found the answer!  

I am teaching a unit on the Earth, Moon, and Sun but I wanted to the kiddos to actually see what the Moon orbiting around the Earth "looks" like.  I wanted them to Understand the concept of how the Earth rotates and orbits, with the moon, at the same time.

So we created a stop motion animation video!!
We started with a black piece of butcher paper and one of our black office dividers.
 Now we just needed props...
My school is blessed to have two 3D printers!  So I created this little Earth!
 I bought the sun at a dollar store (a squishy ball) and the moon is a white marble (also from the dollar store).
 What makes this super easy is something Hue calls "onionskin."  It's a transparent image of the previous frame.  This allows you to see where the objects were and exactly where you want to put them for the next frame.  (This also helps greatly when a student bumps the sun and it goes rolling to the floor!  It's easy to put back in the exact place it was!)
It's simple to add audio!  It's a matter of pressing the red button to record/stop recording.  Then drag the audio to where you want it in the video.
I invited the students to read facts they learned during the unit on the Earth, Moon or Sun!  
I ended up with volunteer readers from each of my guided reading groups!  I gave each of the kiddos a chance to practice their part before recording them.  They rocked it!
 We had so much fun presenting this to the rest of the class!  It was easy to upload to Youtube and insert into our classroom website!
Enjoy our video!
In our next video, my firsties wanted to teach others how to tell time using an analog clock!  
Check out how we made stop motion composite shape videos using HUE Animation Studio!

I would love to hear what types of videos you have made using Hue Animation Station!

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Heidi! My class is working on a HUE animation, too. Lots of fun and new learning. See you around. Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using HUE animation! I would love to see how you're using it in your room!

      Delete